Temporary Program Associate
USDA National Hunger Clearinghouse
Hunger Free America (HFA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that supports and advocates on behalf of low-income Americans who live in households that cannot afford enough food. HFA works to meet the immediate food needs of low-income Americans and enact innovative solutions to help society move "beyond the soup kitchen." HFA advances its mission both locally and nationally through: Policy Advocacy and Research; Increasing Access to Food and Benefits; Media and Communications; and Strategic Volunteerism.
HFA was selected by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to manage a national hunger clearinghouse, including a national hunger hotline and a national online database. We are searching for a Program Associate to help with increased work over the next few weeks for the clearinghouse due to changes in our staffing. The Program Associate will aid the Program Director in administering the call center. The Clearinghouse will collect and disseminate information about federal nutrition programs, emergency food providers, and public and private programs that improve the lives of low-income individuals and families, including their nutrition and health, to help them become self-reliant. HFA is committed to reducing hunger and food insecurity nationwide, and working together with USDA to provide crucial information to food insecure Americans.
The position is located in NYC at HFA’s office. We are looking to fill this role on a full time basis. This position is needed from February 6, 2017 through June 30, 2017 with the possibility of transitioning into a permanent position depending on funding.
The National Hunger Clearinghouse Program Associate will:
- Answer an average of 15-30 calls per day from the hunger hotline and work directly with individuals and organizations searching for hunger related resources.
- Reply promptly to messages on the hunger hotline on average 10 a day.
- Support HFA’s activities related to marketing, promotion, and branding of the clearinghouse.
- Carry out other duties, as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience reporting on performance results for grants or contracts
- Fluent in Spanish
- Close attention to detail
- Proven ability to communicate and collaborate professionally and effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficient to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs, particularly Excel.
- Commitment to, and passion about, HFA’s mission to end hunger nationwide.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations. HFA offers significant benefits to all full-time employees, including a strong health insurance plan. Employees also receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick time. In addition, employees have opportunities for training and professional development in their work for one of the nation’s most respected and innovative anti-hunger organizations.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications for this specific position. Email: email@example.com
Please use e-mail subject line, “Program Associate”
HFA is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
The position is open until filled.
Communications and National Strategic Outreach Internship with Hunger Free America
Hunger Free America is a national nonprofit group building a nonpartisan, grass-roots membership movement to enact the policies and programs needed to end domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food.
Our long term goal is not just to ameliorate the problem, but to build the people’s movement necessary to enact the economic and public policies needed to end hunger entirely. Given that hunger drains our economy and tears at our moral and civic fabric, we know that eliminating it will boost the nation both economically and spiritually. Towards that end, we’ve adopted the motto: “Ending hunger lifts us all.”
We seek to decrease U.S. hunger by building a bold, media-savvy, grass-roots membership movement in all 50 states with the power to overhaul the national conversation and political decision-making on food, nutrition, agriculture, and poverty.
The Nation has written that Hunger Free America has grown into "one of the leading direct service and advocacy organizations on hunger and poverty in the nation."
Hunger Free America is looking to immediately fill its part-time communications internship position which is based in New York City and reports directly to the communications coordinator Magen Allen.
Working closely with, and reporting directly to, Hunger Free America’s Communications Manager. Duties for this position include:
- Enacting national strategic outreach campaign.
- Writing and sending individualized press releases for each state
- Building and organizing national media lists
- Following up with media through cold-calling
- Orchestrating and managing a national media campaign
- Assisting in the development of social media strategies
- Writing, developing, and posting social media posts
- General assistance for the communications department
- Videography, photography, or developing graphics would be a plus
Desired Skills and Experience
Hunger Free America will be looking for an individual with:
- A demonstrated commitment to, and passion about, Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger nationwide.
- A working knowledge of key issues related to hunger, poverty, and the nonprofit sector.
- An outgoing, engaging personality.
- Written and verbal communications skills for a variety of audiences.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills and an ability to meet tight deadlines. .
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Capable of forward thinking and strategizing how to maximize impact of this project.
Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
This internship will offer the individual:
- Professional development that would contribute to careers in communications, anti-hunger organizations, and general non-profit working environments.
- Experience with strategic planning and outreach.
- Experience in developing and implementing a national outreach and media campaign.
To apply please email your resume and a cover letter to Magen Allen at MAllen@hungerfreeamerica.org with the subject line: Communications Internship