AmeriCorps VISTA Service Position:
Hunger Free America is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA to join our NYC based team. Hunger Free America is a national anti-hunger nonprofit organization dedicated to building a movement to enact public policies and programs that lift people out of poverty and end hunger. Join a growing volunteerism initiative to engage volunteers in high impact, long-term solutions to domestic hunger.
- Assist with implementation of our Strategic Volunteerism Initiative and promote the use of our tool HungerVolunteer.org nationally.
- Recruit, manage, and train community volunteers to connect NYC residents to federal nutrition programs.
- Improve access to nutritious food options by enhancing awareness of the availability of utilization of SNAP benefits at NYC’s Greenmarkets.
- Provide nutrition education information and opportunities for low-income New Yorkers through our Food Action Board program.
- Create trainings, toolkits, and other educational materials.
- Use social media to market our volunteerism efforts.
- 4 year degree from an accredited institution
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to detail.
- Outgoing, engaging personality; strong interpersonal skills; willingness to be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills for a variety of audiences, including students, corporations, volunteers, nonprofit leaders, and other external groups.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite programs; experience in CiviCRM database management and/or Drupal website management a plus.
- Commitment to Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger in New York City and nationwide.
This is a 12 month commitment, beginning July 17, 2017. Living stipend, Segal education award, and other benefits are provided.
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and make sure to include the subject line "Volunteer Capacity Building Coordinator."
Hunger Free New York City
Bilingual (Chinese) Benefits Specialist
Hunger Free New York City (HFNYC) strives to build a nonpartisan, grassroots movement to enact the policies and programs needed to end hunger in New York City and ensure that all New Yorkers have sufficient access to nutritious food.
A significant aspect of HFNYC’s work is to connect eligible residents to SNAP / food stamp benefits and to assist them during the application process. The receipt of SNAP for those eligible individuals and families contributes to improved nutrition and reduces the financial strain of trying to pay for other household expenses on a limited budget. The program has expanded significantly in the city over recent years, with over 1.7 million New Yorkers now in receipt of SNAP benefits. However, hundreds of thousands more are eligible for but not receiving SNAP.
The primary responsibility of the Benefits Specialist is to provide SNAP / food stamps eligibility screenings and application assistance from several community-based host locations spread throughout NYC. The Specialist will also attend community events to perform outreach and screenings, and to conduct presentations on SNAP and other nutrition benefits. All work must be entered into a database in order to track client progress.
The Specialist will conduct follow-up to ensure that applicants receive the correct amount of monthly benefits in a timely manner, and help to resolve cases in which this has not occurred.
HFNYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
*ONLY BILINGUAL CANDIDATES (ideally both Mandarin & Cantonese, English) will be considered for this position.
Experience in: anti-hunger/nutrition; benefits screening (esp. for SNAP / food stamps); working in NYC low-income communities. High-energy self-starter with strong communications, problem solving, organizing, and inter-personal skills, and a demonstrated commitment to fighting poverty and hunger. Comfort working in diverse neighborhoods and with diverse people.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is preferred, although people with significant, relevant, work experience will be considered.
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations, including a strong health insurance / benefits plan. The employee will also have opportunities for training and professional development.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to include Chinese Specialist in the subject line. Applicants sending resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Or fax to: 646.459.4378 – include Chinese Specialist in subject line.